Save Swanage Pier Appeal
Please Help Save Swanage Pier
The future of Swanage Pier is in the balance. Parts of the structure, including 41 of the timber piles are in a critical condition, putting the Grade II Listed Pier at risk of collapse.
The Pier Appeal is raising funds to support the preservation and regeneration of Swanage Pier. The Heritage Lottery Fund have provisionally allocated £825,000 towards the project. The Swanage Pier Trust have raised a considerable amount of match funding towards the project thanks to the support of trusts, foundations, local authorities and the general public. The Trust have £100,000 still to raise in order to secure the Pier’s future but needs YOUR help.
Swanage Pier is a unique structure at the heart of the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site, visited by over 125,000 people each year. The Pier is an integral part of Swanage’s character and an important attraction for the area. Dorset County Council has estimated that it contributes over £2.5million annually to the local economy. The structure also acts as an artificial reef and provides an important marine habitat.
Swanage Pier Trust acquired control in 1984 after the Pier had been left to deteriorate for almost 30 years. The Trust is a registered charity which receives no core funding. The Trust is supported by a committed team of over 50 volunteers and has over 650 Friends.
Swanage Pier is now one of only 14 remaining timber Piers in the country
Regenerating Swanage Pier
In 2015, Swanage Pier Trust submitted a successful bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund to support the regeneration of the Pier. The project will include undertaking essential preservation works to the structure, as well as creating a new Visitor’s Centre and Education Space, featuring information on the history of the Pier, World Heritage Jurassic Coast and marine environment. To help make the Pier’s future more sustainable, a café and retail space will also be incorporated.
How you can help:
Monthly Direct Debit of £5, £10 or your chosen amount
·Receive regular news updates
Become a Pier Guardian
Help safeguard the Pier’s future for £100 per year
- Receive 5 'day' Strolling Passes
- Recieve 2 City Cruise return trips from Swanage to Poole
- You will feature on our ‘Thank You’ wall
- Receive regular news updates
Make a donation to the ‘Save Swanage Pier’ Appeal
We need your help, every penny of your donation will be invested in the future of the Pier
· Receive a personalised ‘Thank You’
· Major donors will receive special acknowledgement and a brass plaque
- £5 will pay for a box of bolts to support a structural pile and strengthen the Pier
- £20 will buy protective paint for the iconic Pier railings
- £50 will pay for a new walkway plank, including cleaning and replacing brass plaques
- £1500 will pay for a pile to be extracted
- £3000 will pay for the replacement of a timber decking section
- £4000 will pay for a replacement Greenheart pile
This is our chance to secure the long-term future of Swanage Pier
Thank you for your support